Charles S. Maier
Charles S. Maier
|Alma mater||Harvard University|
Maier served as the director of the Center for European Studies at Harvard, 1994-2001, and currently co-directs (with Sven Beckert, Sugata Bose, and Jean Comaroff) the Weatherhead Initiative in Global History. He taught at Duke University 1976-81 and has also held various visiting professorships in Europe. He was married from 1961 to 2013 to the late Pauline Maier, Professor at MIT and noted American historian. In 2017 he married Marjorie Anne Sa'adah, professor emerita of government at Dartmouth University. He has three children and seven grandchildren.
Awards and honors
He is a member of the Council on Foreign Relations and the American Academy of Arts and Sciences, and is a recipient of a John Simon Guggenheim Memorial Fellowship, an Alexander von Humboldt research prize fellowship, the Cross of Honor of the German Federal Republic, and the Cross of Honor for Science and Art, first class, of the Republic of Austria. The University of Padua awarded him a laurea honoris causa in European Studies in January 2018.
- Maier, Charles S. (1975). Recasting bourgeois Europe : stabilization in France, Germany, and Italy in the decade after World War I. Princeton, NJ: Princeton University Press. Reprinted with new prefaces, 1988 and 2015.
- In Search of Stability: Explorations in Historical Political Economy (New York: Cambridge University Press, 1987)
- The Unmasterable Past: History, Holocaust, and German National Identity (Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press, 1988)
- Dissolution: the Crisis of Communism and the End of East Germany (Princeton: Princeton University Press, 1997)
- Among Empires: American Ascendancy and its Predecessors (Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press, 2006)
- Leviathan 2.0: Inventing Modern Statehood (Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press, 2014; also in Worlds Connected, Emily Rosenberg, ed. Harvard University Pres, 2012)
- Once within Borders: Territories of Power, Wealth, and Belonging since 1500 (Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press, 2016)
“In Merkel’s Crisis, Echoes of Weimar,” NYR Daily: New York Review of Books, 12/4/2017.
- Maier, Charles S. (2015). "History lived and history written : Germany and the United States, 1945/55-2015" (PDF). Bulletin of the German Historical Institute (Washington DC). 57 (Fall): 7–23.
- “The Cold War and the World Economy,” in The Cambridge History of the Cold War, Melvyn P. Leffler and Odd Arne Westad, eds. (3 vols., Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2010 ), I, 44-66.
- “Consigning the Twentieth Century to History: Alternative Narratives for the Modern Era,” Forum Essay, American Historical Review, vol. 105, no. 3 (June 2000): 807-831.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Charles S. Maier.|