Chhatrapati Shahu Ji Maharaj University
This article needs additional citations for verification. (March 2018) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
This article relies too much on references to primary sources. (June 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Motto in English
|Rise from Darkness to Light|
|Established||9 February 1966|
|Chancellor||Governor of Uttar Pradesh|
Chhatrapati Shahu Ji Maharaj University (CSJMU), formerly Kanpur University, is a public state university located in Kanpur, Uttar Pradesh, India. It is administered under the state legislature of the government of Uttar Pradesh. It is one of the largest universities of Asia catering to urban and rural students offering professional and academic courses in disciplines of Arts, Science, Commerce, Law, Engineering, Biotechnology, Computer Applications, Management and Medicine.
Kanpur University was established in 1966 when Agra University split into Agra and Kanpur universities. Mayawati, as chief minister, changed the name from Kanpur University to the current name, after the Maharaja of the Indian princely state of Kolhapur between 1884 and 1922, Shahu IV of Kolhapur, also known as Chhatrapati Shahu Ji Maharaj.
The campus is spread across 264 acres. While the undergraduate and post-graduate programmes in Art, Science, Commerce, Law, Engineering and Medicine are offered in affiliated colleges and institutions, the residential wing of the campus includes faculties of Life Sciences, Business Management, Education and English. There are separate hostel, academic and administrative blocks.
Administration and Academic Calendar
The administration is the Chancellor, the Vice Chancellor and the members of the executive council, the court and the academic council of the university.
The Kulpati (Vice-Chancellor) is a whole-time salaried officer of the university and is appointed by the chancellor from amongst the names submitted to him by a committee constituted in accordance with the provisions above U.P. Universities Act 1973.
The individual departments are under the direct supervision of their appointed directors, and each sub-department has its head.
The University has start his academic calendar July month of every year, and Regular exam will started from February month of every Years and Kanpur University CSJM Result will announce the second week of may of next year.
Departments and institutes
- Deen Dayal Shodh Sansthan
- Department of Adult and Continuing Education and Extension
- Department of Education
- Department of English
- Department of Fine Arts and Painting
- Department of Library and Information Science
- Department of Master of Social Work (MSW)
- Department of Music
- Department of Physical Education
- Institute of Business Management
- Institute of Bioscience & Biotechnology
- Institute of Journalism and Mass Communication
- Institute of Life Sciences
- Institute of Pharmacy
- University Institute of Engineering and Technology, Kanpur University; formerly known as Institute of Engineering and Technology
- University Institute of Health Sciences
- Institute of Hotel Management
- University Placement Cell
Government and politics
- Ram Nath Kovind, President of India 
- Harsh Vardhan, Minister of Science and Technology, Environment, Forest and Climate Change and Earth Sciences, attended Ganesh Shankar Vidyarthi Memorial Medical College, graduated in 1979 with a Bachelor of Medicine, Bachelor of Surgery
- Gopal Khanna, 5th director of the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality
- Shivpal Singh Yadav, MLA and former Cabinet Minister in Uttar Pradesh Government
- Ram Gopal Yadav, MP
- Naresh Uttam Patel, MLC and state president of Samajwadi Party
- Harvindar Kumar Sahani, MLA
- Sarita Bhadauria, MLA
- Arvind Pratap, MLC
- Sone Lal Patel, founder of Apna Dal
- Subhashini Ali, former MP and Polit Beuro member of Communist Party of India (Marxist)
- Premdas Katheria, former MP
- Sushila Saroj, former MP
- Ashok Kumar Doharey, former MP
- Renu Khator, chancellor of the University of Houston System and president of the University of Houston 
- Sarvagya Singh Katiyar, former vice chancellor of Chhatrapati Shahu Ji Maharaj University, Padma Bhushan and Padma Shri.
- Raj Kumar, founder director of All India Institute of Medical Sciences, Rishikesh and now vice chancellor of Uttar Pradesh University of Medical Sciences
- Onkar Singh, founder vice chancellor of Madan Mohan Malaviya University of Technology
- Rakesh Bhatnagar, vice chancellor of Banaras Hindu University
- Ghanshyam Swarup, Molecular biologist, Shanti Swarup Bhatnagar laureate
- Mohammad Kaif, cricketer (dropout)
- Anny Divya, pilot, attended Indira Gandhi Rashtriya Uran Akademi, graduated with a Bachelor of Science in Aviation
- Veena Sahasrabuddhe, vocalist and composer of Hindustani classical music
- Animesh Mukharjee, documentary film-maker,writer and Hindi poet
- Bal Govind Dwivedi, Hindi poet
- Rahul Mishra, won the International Woolmark Prize in 2014 at Milan Fashion Week
- "Kanpur University administration".
- "Ram Nath Kovind". Encyclopaedia Britannica. 4 April 2018. Retrieved 1 August 2019.
- Arts, College of Liberal. "RENU KHATOR // Purdue College of Liberal Arts". Purdue College of Liberal Arts. Retrieved 1 August 2019.