Energy (Keri Hilson song)
|Single by Keri Hilson|
|from the album In a Perfect World…|
|Released||May 27, 2008|
|Keri Hilson singles chronology|
"Energy" is the debut single by American recording artist Keri Hilson. The song was written and produced by The Runaways, consisting of Louis Biancaniello, Sam Watters, Rico Love, and Wayne Wilkins, for her studio album In a Perfect World… (2009).
The track was released as the first single from the singer's debut in the United States on May 27, 2008. Although being released worldwide it initially only charted in New Zealand at number two and only managed to reach top thirty on the U.S. Billboard Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs and Hot Dance Club Play charts.
"Energy" was written and produced by The Runaways. It was also recorded by The Runaways at Homesite 13 studios in Novato, California. and Hilson stated that she wanted to prove that she can be successful even without collaborations and guest vocalists and so it was announced "Energy" would be released as the next worldwide single following the success of "Knock You Down". The song was released on September 14, 2009 in the UK. On September 25, 2009 she appeared live on breakfast TV show GMTV in the UK where she performed the single. That same day, she appeared on BBC Radio 1's Live Lounge where she performed a stripped version of "Energy" as well as a gospel cover version of "Supernova" originally sung by Mr Hudson and Kanye West.
The music video for "Energy" was directed by Melina Matsoukas and produced by Wohn Winter. Set primarily in a boxing ring, Hilson plays a boxer whose love interest (played by Christian Keyes) is her apparent trainer. Hilson explains that her character continually tries to sort their broken relationship, but by the end of the video, she realizes that it's just not working. Throughout the video, there are cutaways in which Hilson argues with her boyfriend in their apartment, Hilson working out, having recently worked out and now in locker room, singing against a wall, and singing in a hallway.
In the video, there was appearance of the replica Winged Eagle WWE Championship on her waist while sitting on a stool in the corner of the boxing ring, where viewers think it was a boxing championship belt. The song was also used as a sample for, American Rapper, Real Dynamite, single "I'm Energized".
In Australia, "Energy" peaked at number 55 on the Singles chart and number 19 on the Urban Singles chart. In New Zealand, the song peaked at number two, and was certified Gold on November 30, 2008, selling over 7,500 copies.
Credits adapted from the In the Perfect World... liner notes.
- The Runaways – producer, engineer, recording, mixing
- Ravaughn Brown – additional vocals
- Dru Castro – additional recording
|New Zealand (Recorded Music NZ)||2|
|Switzerland (Schweizer Hitparade)||64|
|UK Singles (Official Charts Company)||43|
|US Dance Club Songs (Billboard)||12|
|US Rhythmic (Billboard)||35|
|United States||May 27, 2008||Digital download||Mosley / Zone 4|
|July 17, 2008||Rhythm radio|
|August 5, 2008||Mainstream radio|
|United Kingdom||September 13, 2009||Polydor Records|
|September 14, 2009||CD single|
- Blender staff (2009-01-04). "The Top 144 Songs of 2008". Blender. Retrieved 2010-03-26.[permanent dead link]
- (2009) Album notes for In a Perfect World... by Keri Hilson [Booklet]. Santa Monica, CA; Mosley, Zone 4 (Interscope).
- Sam (2009-07-24). "That Grape Juice Interviews Keri Hilson". ThatGrapeJuice.net. Archived from the original on 2009-07-27. Retrieved 2009-08-26.
- "Perfect Timing - Pete Lewis Interviews Keri Hilson". Blues & Soul. Retrieved 2009-09-10.
-  Archived September 29, 2009, at the Wayback Machine
- "Video: Keri Hilson Covers Mr Hudson". Rap-Up.com. 2009-09-25. Retrieved 2011-02-20.
- Gold Certification in New Zealand, November 30, 2008 Archived July 24, 2011, at the Wayback Machine Retrieved: May 23, 2009
- New Zealand Chart Facts Archived July 9, 2011, at the Wayback Machine Retrieved: May 23, 2009
- "Keri Hilson - Energy". Discogs. Retrieved 2008-07-17.
- "Energy: Keri Hilson: Amazon.co.uk: MP3 Downloads". Amazon.co.uk. Retrieved 2009-08-26.
- "The ARIA Report, Week Commencing ~ 21 July 2008 ~ Issue #960. See p. 3" (PDF). National Library of Archives Australia. July 21, 2008. Retrieved April 6, 2011.
- "Charts.nz – Keri Hilson – Energy". Top 40 Singles.
- "Swisscharts.com – Keri Hilson – Energy". Swiss Singles Chart.
- "Keri Hilson: Artist Chart History". Official Charts Company.
- "Keri Hilson Chart History (Dance Club Songs)". Billboard.
- "Keri Hilson Chart History (Rhythmic)". Billboard.