India–Mozambique relations refers to the current and historical relationship between India and Mozambique. India has a high commissioner in Maputo and Mozambique has a high commissioner in New Delhi.
This section needs expansion. You can help by adding to it. (April 2014)
Aquino de Braganca was a close aid of former Mozambiquan President Samora Machel and was with him when he died in a plane crash in 1986. He also worked with FRELIMO in its struggle against the Portuguese.
Mumbai-based Videocon Industries is part of a consortium of companies exploring for hydrocarbons off the coast of Mozambique's northern Cabo Delgado Province. Videocon intends to import and sell Mozambican natural gas in India. India's coal companies are also closely involved with coal production in Mozambique.
A Memorandum of Understanding regarding cooperation in the area of renewable energy was signed during Mozambique President Filipe Jacinto Nyusi's visit to India on 5 August 2015.
In September 1986, India was asked to provide technical assistance and security forces to protect the Beira Corridor. Zimbabwe President Robert Mugabe asked for the deployment of a squadron of Indian Air Force Mig-21 aircraft with Indian pilots to provide air cover for the corridor: half the aircraft were to be based in Harare and half in Chimoio, Mozambique. But Rajiv Gandhi decided that deployment of the Indian Air Force to Mozambique was too much of a reversal of India’s public stance against the overseas deployment of Indian forces or carried too much risk for India. New Delhi may have decided instead to secretly provide assistance to the Mozambique through providing what has been called ‘a small naval presence’ in Mozambique waters.
The two states also work closely on issues of security, especially maritime safety in the Indian Ocean; in June 2011, government ministers met and agreed to work together on the issue. In 2010, the Indian Navy rescued a Mozambican vessel from pirates. In 2012, the Indian Navy agreed to commence antipiracy patrols in the Mozambique Channel, apparently without prior consultation with South Africa.
- High Commission of India in Mozambique
- Alexandre Moniz Barbosa (2 April 2011). "Mozambique's immortal Goan connection". Retrieved 11 April 2014.
- "allAfrica.com: Mozambique: Country May Export Natural Gas to India". AllAfrica.com. Retrieved 11 January 2012.
- Sengupta, Debjoy (21 June 2011). "Coal India's Mozambique venture hits a glitch - Economic Times". Indiatimes. Kolkata. Retrieved 11 January 2012.
- "India, Mozambique finalise MoU on cooperation in renewable energy: PM Modi". Retrieved 17 November 2015.
- David Brewster. "India's Ocean: the Story of India's Bid for Regional Leadership". Retrieved 30 August 2014.
- "Mozambique, India to work together on maritime security". The Hindu. 29 June 2011. Retrieved 11 January 2012.
- "Naval muscle should fetch economic returns.", The Tribune, 20 March 2015.
|This article about government in India is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This Mozambique-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about bilateral relations is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|