Ministry of Petroleum and Natural Gas
This article includes a list of references, but its sources remain unclear because it has insufficient inline citations. (March 2012) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Emblem of India
|Jurisdiction||Republic of India|
|Annual budget||₹42,901 crore (US$6.0 billion) (2020-21 est.) |
The Ministry of Petroleum and Natural Gas (MOP&NG) is a ministry of the Government of India. It is responsible for the exploration, production, refining, distribution, marketing, import, export, and conservation of petroleum, natural gas, petroleum products, and liquefied natural gas in India.
Important areas of work allocated to the Ministry
- Exploration and exploitation of petroleum resources, including natural gas.
- Production, supply distribution, marketing and pricing of petroleum including natural gas and petroleum products.
- Oil refineries, including Lube plants.
- Additives for petroleum and petroleum products.
- Lube blending and greases.
- Planning, development and control of, and assistance to all industries dealt with by the Ministry.
- All attached or subordinate offices or other organisations concerned with any of the subject specified in this list.
- Planning, development and regulation of oilfield services.
- Public sector projects failing under the subjects included in this list,
- Engineers India limited and IBP Company. together with its subsidiaries, except such projects as are specifically allotted to any other Ministry/Dept,
- Administration of various Central laws relating to Petroleum and Natural Gas
- Keshav Dev Malviya
- Ram Naik - 1999-2004
- Mani Shankar Aiyar - 2004-2006
- Murli Deora - 2006-18 Jan 2011
- Jaipal Reddy - 19 Jan 2011 – 28 Oct 2012
- M. Veerappa Moily - 28 Oct 2012 – 17 May 2014
- Dharmendra Pradhan - 3 September 2017 - Till date
Ministers of State
- Chandrashekhar Singh - 1985 - 1986
- Dinsha Patel - 2006-2009
- Jitin Prasada - May 2009 - Jan 2011
- R. P. N. Singh - 19 Jan 2011 – 28 Oct 2012
- Panabaka Lakshmi - 28 Oct 2012 – 17 May 2014
- Dharmendra Pradhan - 26 May 2014 - Incumbent as Cabinet Minister
The position of rank has been upgraded from Minister of State (Independent Charge) to Cabinet Rank.
- Balmer Lawrie
- Biecco Lawrie Limited (Closed)
- Chennai Petroleum Corporation Limited
- Bharat Petroleum Corporation Limited (BPCL)
- Engineers India Limited
- Gas Authority of India Limited (GAIL)
- Indian Oil Corporation Limited (IOC)
- Numaligarh Refinery Limited
- Oil India Limited (OI)
- Oil and Natural Gas Corporation Limited
- Rajiv Gandhi Institute of Petroleum Technology (RGIPT) - is a training and education institute that gives technical and management training to the petroleum industry and was formally opened on July 2008. The Ministry of Petroleum and Natural Gas (MOP&NG), Government of India founded the institute through an Act of Parliament ("Rajiv Gandhi Institute of Petroleum Technology Act 2007").
- Jais Campus: Started academic sessions in June 2008 at a temporary campus at Rae Bareli. On 15 October 2016, the institute moved from temporary campus to the permanent campus at Jais.
- Noida Campus: Besides main center at Jais, Amethi, the RGIPT also have this campus for MBA and related courses.
- Assam Campus: New campus is under construction at Sivasagar, Assam. In consonance with the charter of RGIPT, the primary objective of the Assam Center of RGIPT is envisaged to offer programmes of education and training of skilled technical manpower at the diploma and advance diploma levels including B.Sc - M.Sc integrated courses in various areas in the domain of the petroleum sector as per requirements of the oil, gas and petrochemical industry. On 13 May 2017, Chief Minister of Assam Sarbananda Sonowal and Minister of Petroleum and Natural Gas Shri Dharmendra Pradhan jointly launched the full swing construction work of second campus at Sivasagar, Assam.
- Bangalore Campus: In July 2013, Karnataka government agreed to offer 200 acres of land to set up the Bangalore centre which is going to be the Asia's first centre on fire and safety for oil and gas sector. The institute will start functioning from 2018-19 academic year and it is purely for research in energy policy and science and technology as it is related to petroleum and energy. The institute coming up will cost Rs.1,000 crore.
On 20 February 2015, A group of seven Indian petroleum ministry and oil firm employees were arrested for allegedly stealing and leaking classified documents to energy companies in exchange for cash payments. The group stole, photocopied and leaked confidential oil ministry documents related to energy pricing and policy in exchange for undisclosed sums of money. They were apprehended when Delhi police received a tip that the men were trying to break into offices at the ministry.
- Electricity sector in India
- Nuclear power in India
- Oil Industry Safety Directorate
- Petrol stations in India
- Solar power in India
- Wind power in India
- Renewable energy in India
- "Union Budget 2020-21 Analysis" (PDF). prsindia.org. 2020.
- "Dr M M Kutty appointed as new Petroleum Secretary". 19 May 2018 – via National Political Mirror.
- "Steps are being taken to contain growth in demand for oil: Keshav Dev Malaviya". India Today. Retrieved 23 February 2018.
- Mehdudia, Sujay (28 July 2013). "HPCL slams door on Iran for crude oil imports". The Hindu. Retrieved 14 September 2019.
- "Sonia to lay foundation for Rajiv Gandhi Petroleum Institute in Rae Bareli - TopNews". www.topnews.in.
- "Pradhan takes jibe at Rahul over kurta-pajama remark - Times of India". timesofindia.indiatimes.com. Retrieved 11 November 2016.
- ":: Welcome to Rajiv Gandhi Institute of Petroleum Technology ::". rgipt.ac.in. Retrieved 11 November 2016.
- "Centre committed to development of Assam, northeast: Manmohan - The Hindu". thehindu.com. Retrieved 11 November 2016.
- "'Bhumi pujan' for multi-specialty hospital in Assam". news.webindia123.com.
- "RGIPT to set up Rs 355 crore research centre in Bangalore | Business Standard News". business-standard.com. Retrieved 11 November 2016.
- "Soon, Karnataka to get petroleum research institute".
- "Seven arrested in India classified document theft-for-cash scheme". Petro Global News. Retrieved 23 February 2015.