No. 1 (Coastal) Operational Training Unit RAF
|No. 1 (Coastal) Operational Training Unit|
Ensign of the Royal Air Force
|Active||April 1940 – October 1943|
|Branch||Royal Air Force|
No. 1 (Coastal) Operational Training Unit RAF was a training unit operated by the Royal Air Force Coastal Command. The unit was established during April 1940 by the renaming of a Coastal Command unit and disbanded during October 1943.
The unit originally started out life as the RAF Coastal Command Landplane Pilots Pool based at RAF Silloth in Cumbria training crews for landplanes flying Avro Ansons, Lockheed Hudsons, Bristol Blenheims and Bristol Beauforts. However, during April 1940 the unit was renamed to No. 1 (Coastal) Operational Training Unit and before long with the creation of more OTU's the unit started to specialise in training Hudson crews.
- RAF Silloth as RAF Coastal Command Group from November 1939 and No. 1 (Coastal) OTU from April 1940.
- RAF Thornaby from 23 March 1943 until October 1943.
- Air Experience Flight
- British military aircraft designation systems
- List of Army Air Corps aircraft squadrons (United Kingdom)
- List of Army Air Corps aircraft units (United Kingdom)
- List of Battle of Britain squadrons
- List of Fleet Air Arm aircraft squadrons
- List of RAF Regiment squadrons
- List of RAF squadron codes
- List of Royal Air Force aircraft independent flights
- List of Royal Air Force aircraft squadrons
- List of Royal Air Force conversion units
- List of Royal Air Force Operational Training Units
- List of Royal Air Force schools
- List of Royal Air Force units & establishments
- Royal Air Force roundels
- United Kingdom aircraft test serials
- United Kingdom military aircraft serial numbers
- University Air Squadrons
- Volunteer Gliding Squadron
- "No 1 (Coastal) Operational Training Unit". Air of Authority - A History of RAF Organisation. Retrieved 30 April 2012.
- "RAF Thornaby". Control Towers. Retrieved 30 April 2012.
- Sturtivant 2007, p. 198.
- Lake 1999, p. 144.
- "Lockheed Hudson Mk.I N7325 / B-59 of No.1 (Coastal) Operational Training Unit". Peak District Air Accident Research. Retrieved 30 April 2012.
- Sturtivant, R. RAF Flying Training and Support Units since 1912. Air Britain, 2007. ISBN 0-85130-365-X.
- Lake, A Flying Units of the RAF. Airlife Publishing Ltd., Shrewsbury, 1999. ISBN 1-84037-086-6.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to No. 1 (Coastal) Operational Training Unit RAF.|