Muhammad-Bande in 2019
|President of the United Nations General Assembly|
|Assumed office |
17 September 2019
|Preceded by||María Fernanda Espinosa|
|Permanent Representative of Nigeria to the United Nations|
National Institute for Policy and Strategic Studies
April 2010 – February 2016
Usman Danfodio University
African Training and Research Centre in Administration for Development
January 2000 – February 2004
|Born||7 December 1957|
Kebbi State, Nigeria
|Alma mater||Ahmadu Bello University (B.Sc)|
Boston University (M.A)
University of Toronto (Ph.D)
Tijjani Muhammad-Bande (OFR) (born 7 December 1957) is a Nigerian political scientist, administrator and career diplomat. He was the permanent representative of Nigeria to the United Nations and served as the Vice-President of the General Assembly during its 71st session in September 2016. On 4 June 2019 he was elected the President of 74th session of the Assembly. He succeeded María Fernanda Espinosa, whose term ended in September 2019.
Early life and education
Muhammad-Bande was born on 7 December 1957 in the town of Zagga in present-day Kebbi State, northwestern Nigeria. He attended Ahmadu Bello University for undergraduate studies, where he received a Bachelor of Science in Political Science in 1979 before proceeding to Boston University, where he graduated with a Master of Arts in Political Science in 1981. Muhammad-Bande received a Ph.D in Political Science from the University of Toronto in 1987.
Bande taught at Usman Danfodio University as a graduate assistant in the 1980s and rose to the rank of professor in 1998 at the same institution. Between 2004 and 2009, he served as vice-chancellor of the university before being appointed Director-General of Nigeria's National Institute for Policy and Strategic Studies, a position he held from 2010 to 2016. Previously, Bande served as the Director-General of the African Training and Research Centre in Administration for Development in Tangier, Morocco, from 2000 to 2004.
- "Tijjani Muhammad-Bande -Bio Data". Permanent Mission of Nigeria to the United Nations. Retrieved 8 May 2019.
- "Profile of Professor Tijjani Muhammad-Bande" (PDF). un.org. United Nations. Retrieved 7 May 2019.
- "Muhammad Bande emerges UNGA President". Daily Trust. Retrieved 4 June 2019.
- "Quick Fact about New Nigeria's Ambassador to UN, Bande". Sahara Reporters. Retrieved 7 May 2019.
- "Professor Tijjani Bande Announced As President, UN General Assembly". Sahara Reporters. Retrieved 7 May 2019.
- "Nigerian professor, Muhammad-Bande, appointed president of UN General Assembly". ICIR Nigeria. Retrieved 8 May 2019.
|Positions in intergovernmental organisations|
María Fernanda Espinosa
| President of the United Nations General Assembly